Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Chaotic World!



I've spent the week mostly in the studio working on this huge drawing here. It has been extremely freeing! Here are a few photos of what i've been working on, and my artist statement to help you understand where I am coming from. Would love to know your thoughts!


Humanity is fleeting. We spend our lives trying to defy gravity, overcome physicality, and gain recognition so that we can understand wisdom, power, and omniscience. To be fully known is our innate human ambition. We yearn for peace, hope, and all things good, which we don’t naturally possess. We want to be a part of something larger than ourselves; to make our mark on the existential canvas that is life.
The world that we exist in is chaotic. Humanity, by nature, strives for hypercivilization wherein lies the chaos of noise, media, and power. However, we are given the opportunity to nurture cosmos within the chaos; cosmos being one’s harmony with the world where we will attain the promise of the good.
For the past few years, I’ve had an infatuation with birds; the way they sit on a wire, their grace in flight, their seeming constancy and ease of enjoying life. This common, everyday spectacle has broken into my psyche and brought with it a new level of consciousness surrounding the natural world, human nature, and spirituality.
I use imagery such as feathers, nests, and birds to try to add this consciousness to my artwork. This imagery was the catalyst that opened up my eyes to some of the larger truths and beauties of the universe; my cosmos. In my work, I hope to convey a sense of atmospheric cosmos within chaos that will encourage the viewer to search for their own.
I concentrate on the eternal and the cosmic; revealing that there is neither fate nor chance in the beautiful mess that is our existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment